Middlemarch Environmental is one of the UK’s leading ecological consultancies. For the last 20 years, we’ve been helping our clients to get their ecology surveys actioned in time to meet tight planning deadlines.
Our size and nationwide coverage means that we can be on site quickly and in an average month we successfully complete more than 200 ecological and biodiversity projects nationwide for a wide range of public and private sector companies, including developers, architects, individuals and local authorities.
Middlemarch Environmental has extensive experience of providing cost-effective ecological solutions for all aspects of your project, ranging from initial survey work to support a planning application, to the design and on-site delivery of mitigation. Our range of services includes:
- Preliminary ecological appraisal
- Ecological impact assessments
- BREEAM/Code for sustainable homes assessments (CfSH)
- Tree surveys and assessments
- GIS mapping and analysis
- Habitat creation and enhancement
- Biodiversity services
The company and/or our staff are members of the following organisations;
- Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- Arboricultural Association
- Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
- Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)
- Society for the Environment (SocEnv)
- British Ecological Society
- Society for Ecological Restoration
- British Hydrological Society
Middlemarch was set up in 1989 and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Warwickshire Wildlife Trust, which is itself part of The Wildlife Trusts, the largest voluntary organisation in the UK concerned with all aspects of nature conservation and the environment. Our vision is taken from ‘Middlemarch’ by George Eliot, published in 1872, from which the quote “to do good small work for Middlemarch and great work for the world” is taken. George Eliot was born Mary Ann Evans on 22nd November 1819, at Arbury Farm in North Warwickshire – just over 5 miles away from our offices.
Health and Safety
The team at Middlemarch Environmental works to a very high standard of safety in the field. This has been recognised by the British Safety Council (of which Middlemarch is a long-term member) with the presentation of their top International Safety Award for the last nine years. Middlemarch Environmental is accredited to OHSAS 18001 standard for occupational health and safety management systems. The company is also registered with
- Safety Systems in Procurement (SSIP) via both Worksafe Consultant and SafeContractor
- British Safety Council International Safety Award
- Constructionline Member
- Achilles Railway Industry Supplier Qualification Scheme (RISQS)
- Achilles Utilities Vendor Database (UVDB)
- Avetta (Aggregate Sector)
Middlemarch’s quality systems are accredited to ISO9001:2015 and the company’s environmental management system is accredited to ISO14001:2015. These are run as an Integrated Management System supporting the business processes and to provide a structure for Continuous Improvement Activities.